We offer 3 assay kits for measuring β-galactosidase activity:
- SensoLyte® MUG β-Galactosidase Assay Kit (Ex/Em= 360/460 nm),
- SensoLyte® FDG β-Galactosidase Assay Kit (Ex/Em= 490/520 nm),
- SensoLyte® ONPG β-Galactosidase Assay Kit (Abs= 420 nm).
Figure : Detection of β-galactosidase activity with the SensoLyte® MUG β-Galactosidase Activity Assay Kit (A), SensoLyte® FDG β-Galactosidase Activity Assay Kit (B), and SensoLyte® ONPG β-Galactosidase Activity Assay Kit (C); detection limits are 15 fg, 10 pg and 0.1 ng, respectively.
Advantages of using a fluorogenic substrate
- Possibility of monitoring expression in individual cells as well as analyze the heterogeneity of expression in cell populations.1
- Fluorimetric assays are several times more sensitive than colorimetric assays.
More about β-galactosidase
β-galactosidase is widely used as a reporter enzyme to monitor gene expression, and in the study of protein-protein interactions2. It also represents the basics of the white/blue screening of recombinant clones, allowing to determine transfection efficiency.3
1. Plovins, A. et al. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 60, 4638 (1994).
2. Rossi, F. et al. PNAS 94, 8405 (1997).
3. Thompson CD et al. Biotechniques 27, 824 (1999).